ABOUT OUR POLICIES
1. INTRODUCTION AND GENERAL TERMS
- what information JLA may collect about you
- how JLA will use the information we collect
- when JLA may use your details to contact you
- whether JLA will disclose your details to anyone else
- your choices regarding the personal information you have provided to us
Whenever you provide such information, JLA is legally obliged to use your information in line with all laws concerning the protection of personal information, including the Data Protection Act 1998.
The website(s) contain hyperlinks to websites owned and operated by third parties. These third party websites have their own Privacy Policies, including cookies, and we urge you to review them. They will govern the use of personal information submitted or collected by cookies whilst visiting these websites. JLA does not accept any responsibility or liability for the privacy practices of such third party websites. Your use of such websites is at your own risk.
2. WHAT INFORMATION WILL JLA COLLECT ABOUT ME?
When you sign up to participate in or receive services from jla.co.uk (eg newsletters, booking/general enquiries, myJLA or the Feedback Forum), we may ask for personal information. This might be your name, email or postal address, telephone or mobile number. Different web pages may ask for different personal information.
By entering your details in the fields requested, you enable JLA to provide you with the services you select.
3. HOW WILL JLA USE INFORMATION COLLECTED ABOUT ME?
JLA will use personal information for a number of purposes, including the following:
- for "service administration purposes", which means that JLA may contact you for reasons related to a service you have signed up for (eg to provide you with password reminders or to notify you that a particular service has been suspended for maintenance);
- to contact you about a submission you have made to the website(s), including any content you provide;
- to personalise the way JLA content is presented (eg if we notice that the first thing you look at is Conference Speakers, then we may present this information or a link to it on your home page);
- IP addresses are used to identify the location of users, the number of visits from different countries and also to block disruptive use; and
- to analyse and improve the services offered on jla.co.uk, eg to provide you with the most user-friendly navigation experience.
Where JLA proposes to use personal information for any other purpose we will notify you first. You will be given the opportunity to withhold or withdraw your consent.
4. WHEN WILL JLA CONTACT ME?
JLA may contact you:
- in relation to the functioning of any service for which you have registered;
- where you have opted to receive further correspondence;
- in relation to any contribution you have made, eg on the Feedback Forum;
- to invite you to participate in voluntary surveys about JLA;
- for marketing purposes where you have specifically agreed (see below).
Local pages will give you detailed information about how JLA will contact you in relation to specific services.
5. WILL I BE CONTACTED FOR MARKETING PURPOSES?
JLA will only contact you for marketing purposes, or to promote new services, if you specifically agree to be contacted for these purposes.
6. WILL JLA SHARE MY PERSONAL INFORMATION?
JLA will keep your information confidential except where disclosure is required or permitted by law (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies) or as described below. Generally, we will only use your information within JLA.
7. OFFENSIVE OR INAPPROPRIATE CONTENT
If you post or send offensive, inappropriate or objectionable content to jla.co.uk, or otherwise engage in disruptive behaviour on jla.co.uk, JLA may use your personal information to stop such behaviour.
Where JLA reasonably believes that you are or may be in breach of any of the laws of England or Wales (eg because content you have posted may be defamatory), JLA may use your personal information to inform relevant third parties such as your employer, email/Internet provider or law enforcement agencies about the content.
8. CAN I FIND OUT WHAT INFORMATION JLA HAS ABOUT ME?
Under the Data Protection Act you have the right to request a copy of the personal information JLA holds about you, and to have inaccuracies corrected. (You will be required to prove your identity with two pieces of approved photographic identification.) We will use reasonable efforts to supply, correct or delete personal information about you on our files.